Why LTE is required?
- Exponential growth of mobile data traffic, demands the need for increasing the capacity of existing mobile networks
- The emerging internet applications requiring high data rates and low latency
How LTE is evolved?
- LTE is initiated as Release-7 study item.
What factors driving LTE
- Reduced latency
- high user data rates – both peak and average
- improved system capacity and coverage
- cost-reduction to operator
Major requirements for LTE in Release-7
- High data rates, 100Mbps(DL) and 50Mbps(UL)
- Improved latency, RAN latency<10ms and also control plane latency
- Improved spectral efficiency
- Scalable bandwidth, 1.4MHz, 3MHz, 5MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz, 20MHz
- Support for both paired(FDD) and unpaired(TDD) spectrum
- Support/backward compatibility for working with legacy networks, Eg.
Reference: Requirements for Evolved UTRA (E-UTRA) and Evolved UTRAN(E-UTRAN), 3GPP TR 25.913